Im not here for a long time... Im here for a good time!

“Live every act fully, as if it were your last…” –Buddha. My name is Paul Longo; this blog is to share my personal experiences, hobbies, travels, and encounters of my life with the world and those of you that are interested. Life is too short, it’s a saying we hear on a daily basis and the reality of the matter is it's true! It is so easy to get caught up in a daily struggle to create the “perfect” life that sometimes the best parts of it all are passing us by on the quest to the top of a peak less mountain. How do we measure success? How does one define a fulfilled life? I have no idea and I am not going to pretend that I have those answers because I don’t, but I do have an opinion! Grow up, go to college, get a job, get a wife, have kids, travel within your means, get old, die, and repeat… not so much. We are only here once, we only get one chance to experience the everyday beauty that life has to offer and it is our job to enjoy every minute of that! Every second we waste not living life to our maximum potential is not only unfair to the people that put us here, but wasted time we can NEVER get back! Chase a dream, follow your heart instead of your head once in a while, be spontaneous, take chances, and create ways to make responsibility a fun priority as opposed to forced misery. I’m no preacher; I’m just a kid that enjoys everything no matter how simple it may be and constantly strives to make the best of any situation. I make a continuous effort everyday to keep a positive attitude and not let the insignificant things drag me down to a miserable reality. Work hard, play hard, but most importantly have fun, help people along the way, appreciate all that you have and never give up on the things that you want in your life. ENJOY!

I want to thank my family and friends that have made it possible for me experience all that I have over the last 25 years… I dedicate this site to my parents Paul and Renee Longo for sacrificing SO much for their children and teaching me to always appreciate the little things in life. I love you both and thanks for having me!

Make the world turn,
-Paul Longo

Monday, July 26, 2010

Lough Navar



After waking up at 5:30pm hungover as hell from going to bed at noon, we decided it was time to get some fresh air. I have said and heard that expression a million times but never really understood the term "fresh air" until we got to the peaks of lake Navar. You start out headed up a one way 6 mile road through perfectly planted pine trees on both sides that are so big the branches almost touch overhead and block out the sun. As we made our way out of the forest section the scenery becomes more and more beautiful. Hundred mile views on both sides, the bogs and fields are so green you can see every movement from all types of wildlife and the biggest, bluest sky you could ever imagine. By the time we made it to the top of the windy way it was sometime around 8:30pm which is just in time for an amazing sunset. The last stretch of road before it opens up to a small stone parking lot is a straight away through rows of pines that looks like your going to drive off the end of the earth. The view from the top is offensive...to the left, the Atlantic ocean "next stop Montauk." Straight ahead is a mash up of lakes and tributaries to the ocean with a view of Ireland as far as the eye can see. To my right, green, that's the only words i have to describe the mountainous landscape are beautiful and green. And behind me, a forest so perfect that it looks like Bilbo Baggins could walk out from behind a tree at any second...literally. Along the steepest part of the little viewing area is a 2 post handrail with slanted tops that make them nearly impossible to balance on, especially half-juiced but we had to try. We did some crane kicks and crouching tiger posses and off course Drummy took one stretch a little too far, slipped of the railing, tripped down the stairs and landed face first in a pile of pricker bushes like a torpedo. After i realized he was alright we both laughed ourselves to tears, and be under no illusions it was a legit fall that could have been very bad! Its the kind of place that no photograph can do justice although i have created a slideshow to try. The ride down was just as much fun and its actually used for rally car races in the spring, needless to say we had to put the ol' 5 speed to the test! "That didn't feel like 165mph?" Drumm: "That's kilometers you idiot!" No different than in America logging is a problem in Ireland as well. They replant a tree for every one they cut down but it still has an effect on nature and to see a place that amazing being hacked at is a sin. I took the liberty of lubricating the door handle to the logging truck Americano style.
A serious thank you to Mark Drumm and Vincey Bullion for playing tour guides and showing me the best of Irelands beauty.
Rock the free world!

No comments:

Post a Comment